On St. John, we bake because we can. Cookies, cakes and breads are the comfort confectioneries of isolation. Mac-and-cheese may work for a bit, but nothing beats the joyous aroma of fresh baked goods.
Always wanted to make sourdough bread but never had time to make a starter? No time like the present!
Making a sourdough bread starter is simple science: flour + water + time (+ sometimes packaged yeast).
- Mix a enough water with 2 cups of flour so the consistency is like pancake batter.
- Place the mixture in a small glass container out on your kitchen counter (clear glass is good if you want to see more of how your starter is progressing).
- Cover the container with plastic wrap and allow for a small hole in the middle, no bigger than a dime (i.e., you need a little air, but not enough to let bugs in)
- The next day the batter substance should be bubbly at the top. If it’s not, gently stir a half packet of yeast in a 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit for 10 minutes before adding to the starter.)
- Every day, remove the cover and stir the watery substance that has formed at the top back into a batter-like substance.
- Every day, feed the starter by adding a 1/4 cup of flour (and more water, as needed, to maintain a thick fluid)
The longer you maintain your starter, the better your sourdough will taste. If you want to take a day off or have a vacation ever again, consider putting your starter in the refrigerator. You won’t need to hire a Starter Sitter, although you can. Store your starter in a fridge (in a sealed container) to temporarily stop the fermenting process.
When you’re ready to bake some bread, take the starter out of the fridge the day before so it will be at room temperature and hungry for more flour by the time you’re ready to bake.
Sourdough recipes vary, though they all use a starter. Let us know how it goes and which recipe you like the best!
Looking for more St. John local recipes?
If you’re interested in booking St. John Virgin Islands rentals, the best resource is Windspree Vacation Homes, renting Virgin Islands vacation rentals for over 30 years. Book your St. John vacation rental from people who live there and know the island best! For more information on Virgin Islands rentals and St. John USVI rentals, checkout Windspree.com and call or text (340)201-3002.