Sweet potatoes in the Caribbean are a common dish all year, but around the holidays they become the most popular potluck dish at the party. Sweet potatoes, raisins, pureed tomato, onions & sugar make up this traditional dish. Checkout this site for some wonderful native dishes.
Sweet potatoes come in a variety of colors, from off-white to bright purple. The interior and exterior color of a sweet potato can be different and the colors are indicative of the nutritional value – typically the deeper the color the richer the nutrients (i.e., better for you). For more information on sweet potatoes and the different varieties, checkout https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/gardening/the-different-types-of-sweet-potatoes
Yam or Sweet Potato?
Sweet potatoes and yams are sometimes considered the same but they are very different root vegetables.
Yams come from Asia and Africa and can be hard to find in America, whereas sweet potatoes are quite abundant.
The two look and taste much different as well. Yam skin is rough and looks like tree bark, while the skin of a sweet potato is much smoother. The inside of a yam is starchy and not sweet, while the insides of a sweet potato is sweet (and delicious!).
Caribbean Potato Stuffing
- 3lb sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2c onion, minced
- 2T celery, minced
- 1/2c red & green bell peppers, minced
- 2T coconut oil
- 3T butter
- 1/4c tomato paste
- 1T parsley
- 1t thyme
- 1/3c raisins
- 1/4c sugar
- 1t black pepper
- 1/8t of cinnamon
- pinch or two of salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Wash, peel & chop the potatoes
- In a large pot filled with water, submerge the chopped potatoes
- Boil for approximately 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain & mash with butter
- In a oiled & heated saute pan, add the onion & garlic first, then the remaining ingredients.
- Saute for approximately 1 minute.
- Fold the saute pan mixture into the mashed potatoes
- Pour the mixture evenly into a casserole or pie dish.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Cool for 20 minutes & serve!