St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands is known for its crystal blue waters and picture-perfect white sandy beaches. One of the things you may want to do when you visit St. John is to take advantage of the many opportunities to be on the water by chartering a boat that will take you out in St. John’s pristine and beautiful Caribbean water. You will be able to have the experience of visiting St. John from the water.
You have many options for activities when you charter a boat. Some of them include:
- A day sail in the Caribbean
- A guided snorkel tour
- Visiting a selection of beaches for the day
- Trying a beach bar from your boat
- Getting married on the boat you charter
- Dining at a floating restaurant
- Visiting places on the island that are inaccessible by either vehicle or hiking
- Holding a memorial service for a loved one
When you charter your boat, the charter company can customize your boat rental experience to match your interests so that your day on the boat can be one of the most memorable days possible. Share with them what you are looking to do for the time you are on the boat.
Charter Boat Options
You have options as to what kind of boat you would like to charter. Depending on what you want to do, you can go on diving trips, snorkeling trips, beach visits, bird watching, and sightseeing.
You can charter a sailboat to take you on a full-day or half-day all-inclusive sail or you can use your time, while on the sailboat, to learn the fundamentals of sailing.
You can charter a catamaran either as a private charter that provides a variety of services including bed and breakfast, sailing to remote US territory beaches or as a group charter that offers day sails to nearby beaches and snorkel destinations.
You can also charter a power boat and some companies will offer bareboat rentals. Some full-day charters are all-inclusive and provide you with meals. Other charters may require that you bring your own food and beverages. Check to see whether or not your charter will provide you with snorkeling equipment for all sizes, including children, as well as mask defoggers, and underwater toys.
Tips for Chartering a Boat on St. John
A few things you should take into consideration when chartering a boat on St. John.
- Peak hurricane season is between August and October. Most boats don’t operate during this time.
- Make sure you know where your charter is going to depart from. It could be the National Park Visitor Center, the beach by the ferry dock, The Westin resort, or even Red Hook on St. Thomas.
- If your charter is going into the British Virgin Islands you will need to bring your passport.
- Bring cash to buy lunch if your trip is not all-inclusive. Also, bring cash to tip the crew at the end of your trip.
- Give the charter company an idea of where you would like to go. They may make suggestions based on their experience.
- Find out if there is a Captain’s fee is included or if it is additional
- Fuel may be an additional charge and is sometimes included in the charter. It may also be charged based on usage.
- If you go into the British Virgin Islands there will be a fee for customs. There is no fee if you stay in the waters of the U.S. Virgin Islands