Fried, Caribbean goodness, better known as Johnny Cakes, are a local favorite. Enjoy yours with butter, honey, or jam. We’ve tried a few different recipes, and this one from Moria at Food52 really takes the cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Johnny Cakes Recipe, Serves 4
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work in the butter with your fingers.
- Add 1 cup of water to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Sprinkle some extra flour onto a flat surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Feel free to sprinkle additional flour on the surface as needed.
- Allow the dough to sit in a clean bowl covered with a towel for at least 30 minutes.
- After dough has rested, heat the oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Create small balls of dough and roll out the dough into circles on a lightly-floured surface with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand. Be sure to not make them too thin.
- Pierce each piece with a fork or sharp knife several times and then drop in hot oil.
- Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and drain on paper towel or brown paper bag.
Find more great recipes for popular Caribbean dishes at Food52.
If you’re interested in booking St. John Virgin Islands rentals, the best resource is Windspree Vacation Homes, renting Virgin Islands vacation rentals for over 30 years. Book your St. John vacation rental from people who live there and know the island best! For more information on Virgin Islands rentals and St. John USVI rentals, checkout Windspree.com and call or text (340)201-3002.