Travelers around the Caribbean will recognize “roti” from local menus. A roti (pronounced ro-tee) is a West Indian flat bread. Put something delectable inside said roti, and bwam! Best lunch ever.
It all starts with the unleavened bread (i.e., roti with a small “r”). Fill it to make a Roti!
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2t baking powder
- 1T butter
- 3/4c water
- 1c oil
- Sift 2 cups of flour, add baking powder and butter, mix well.
- Add water, knead, make a soft elastic but not sticky dough.
- Separate into 6 sections and roll each piece of dough thinly on a floured board.
- Brush dough surface with oil and sprinkle lightly with a pinch of flour
- For each piece: fold in half, then quarter, roll up into a ball. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll out each piece thinly again and brush with oil to prevent sticking to the pan.
- Place on a preheated hot griddle. Turn and brush with oil.
- Remove roti and clap with both hands until pliable.
- Fold and place on waxed paper.
- Serve hot & stuffed with something good (aka Roti!)
chicken curry stuffing
- 3lbs raw chicken breasts, cubed
- 2T vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2T curry powder
- 1t chili powder
- 1t paprika
- 2c water
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cut raw chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute onions and garlic in hot oil until tender.
- Add curry powder, chicken, salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika.
- Fry on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add water, bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve in a warm roti.
Interested in booking St. John Virgin Islands rentals? The best villa management company is Windspree Vacation Homes, renting Virgin Islands vacation villas for over 30 years. Book your St. John vacation rental from people who live there and know the island best! For more information on Virgin Islands rentals and St. John USVI rentals, checkout Windspree.com and call or text (340)201-3002.